Kirkley & Pakefield record dramatic cup win over Gorleston

PUBLISHED: 07:01 03 November 2017

Goalmouth action from Tuesday's evening's cup tie between Kirkley & Pakefield and Gorleston. Picture: Brian Grint

Goalmouth action from Tuesday's evening's cup tie between Kirkley & Pakefield and Gorleston. Picture: Brian Grint


Kirkley & Pakefield overhauled a two goal deficit in the final 22 minutes to record a dramatic win in the Thurlow Nunn League Challenge Cup at Walmer Road on Tuesday evening.

With former Royals’ player and joint manager Stuart Larter now at the helm of Gorleston after recently being appointed their new manager there was added interest to this cup-tie.

It was the away team who looked more adventurous from the start, with a few good breakaways early on and a darting run by their winger Jack Garrod was stopped by a superb tackle by Tarren Grint.

Shortly afterwards they had a good appeal for a penalty turned down and then, on 27 minutes, Joel Watts gave them a deserved half-time lead with a good shot.

On 52 minutes Liam Harvey-Cooper chased onto a good through ball only for the away keeper to gather bravely on the edge of the area.

But on the hour mark the home side’s task got even tougher when Watts scored his and the Greens’ second from close range following a shot across goal.

The Royals’ manager Mark Willis made an astute substitution on 65 minutes, with young Dylan Blades replacing Max Wall and this certainly fired up the home team and three minutes later Kyle Baker brought the Royals back into the tie with a well taken goal.

Relentless pressure followed and after good work down the left wing by Blades it was Miguel Lopez who hammered home the equaliser on 73 minutes.

With Lopez now in full flow the home team were taking command and on 80 minutes they went ahead when a long throw from Haylock reached Baker who produced good work and fired across the keeper into the net for his second of the evening.

With Gorleston now showing little resistance there was still time for Haylock to fire just wide and Baker to have his well struck shot pushed onto the bar by keeper Molloy. The final whistle saw the Royals progress into the next round with a great comeback victory that for so long looked unlikely in a fine battling all round team performance.

East Point Sports man-of-the-match was Kyle Baker.

Team: J Read, M Wilson, T Grint, L Hammond, J Herbert, L Flower, K Haylock, M Lopez, K Baker, L Harvey-Cooper, M Wall (D Blades 65).

Subs unused: J Jenner, G Williams, J Hutchinson, C Bell.

If you value what this story gives you, please consider supporting the Lowestoft Journal. Click the link in the orange box below for details.

Become a supporter

This newspaper has been a central part of community life for many years, through good times and bad, serving as your advocate and trusted source of local information. Our industry is facing testing times, which is why I’m asking for your support. Every single contribution will help us continue to produce award-winning local journalism that makes a measurable difference to our community.

Thank you.

Most Read

Most Read

Latest from the Lowestoft Journal