Last gasp goal sinks Lowestoft
Croydon 2, Lowestoft Town 1LOWESTOFT bowed out of the Ryman League's Championship Manager Cup competition at the quarter-final stage last night after conceding a last minute goal at Croydon.
Croydon 2, Lowestoft Town 1
LOWESTOFT bowed out of the Ryman League's Championship Manager Cup competition at the quarter-final stage last night after conceding a last minute goal at Croydon.
The Blues, looking to bounce back from Tuesday night's 5-0 hammering at Concord Rangers, gave a far better account of themselves this time and took the lead midway through the second half through substitute Jamie Godbold.
But Croydon equalised nine minutes later through Gareth Williams and booked their place in the last four when Williams fired home from close range after keeper Andy Reynolds had parried his original shot.
You may also want to watch:
In a first half of few chances Gary Noel missed a decent opportunity for the hosts before Reynolds pulled off a good save to deny Dean Godfrey, after good work from Tom Bolarinna.
The Blues then suffered a setback when young defender Jon Lovelock picked up a head injury, to be replaced by Greg Crane.
- 1 New outdoor theatre hopes to bring post lockdown performances to the woods
- 2 Rapid Covid test sites planned for Bury St Edmunds and Lowestoft
- 3 Minke whale to be removed from Lowestoft beach
- 4 Projects to restore axed rail routes get £794m boost
- 5 A life in agony: 27-year-old's daily torture battling constant pain
- 6 'Manipulative and scheming' man jailed for child sex offences
- 7 Tributes to much-loved Laura, 28, after Covid death
- 8 People 'losing patience' with neighbours who flout Covid rules, police say
- 9 Discount hobby shop The Works 'could run out of money'
- 10 Suzuki and Honda motorbikes stolen in overnight thefts
Lowestoft started the second half brightly, with keeper Andrew Little doing well to keep out a fine effort from Joe Francis.
And they took the lead on 63 minutes when Godbold, who had only just come on, linked up with Francis before beating Little from 25 yards.
Croydon substitute Williams equalised on 72 minutes with another effort from outside the area and went on to have the final say after Reynolds had made a superb stop to deny Godfrey.
Lowestoft: Reynolds, Poppy, Marsden (Godbold 61), Halliday, Lovelock (Crane 27), Potter, Bussens, Forshaw, Bloomfield, Mitchell, Francis (Nolan 85).