Lowestoft ease into Suffolk Premier Cup semi finals

PUBLISHED: 08:58 10 November 2010


LEE McGlone hit a hat trick as Lowestoft Town eased into the semi finals of the Suffolk Premier Cup with a nap hand against Newmarket Town on a rain swept Crown Meadow last night (Tuesday).

A low key performance by the Trawlerboys saw them take the lead as early as the seventh minute. Newmarket keeper Robin Mackney was unable to hold a left wing free kick and McGlone netted his first goal with a cheeky backheel.

Although well in control Lowestoft had to wait until the 41st minute before increasing their lead. An Adam Smith free kick was again too hot for Mackney to hold, Danny Bloomfield’s follow up was blocked leaved McGlone to net from close range.

Worse was to follow for Newmarket who were reduced to 10 men within a minute with the sending off of David Grainger.

Lowestoft made a double substitution on the hour bringing on 17-year-old Joe Clark and Richard Woodrow, who had been out of first team action for 13 months due to injury.

It was young Clark who added the third goal with his first touch heading in a right wing cross. Within a minute McGlone completed his hat trick from close range for the fourth goal.

The scoring was completed in the 69th minute with Clark’s shot beiong parried and Jamie Forshaw drilling home the rebound.

Lowestoft: Reynolds, Cave-Brown, Smith, Halliday, Crane (sub Woodrow 60), Gaughran, Godbold, Cockrill, McGlone, Bloomfield (sub Clark 60), Forshaw, Subs (not used) Mitchell, Ainsley, Forbes.

Attendance: 256.

Terry Lynes

If you value what this story gives you, please consider supporting the Lowestoft Journal. Click the link in the orange box above for details.

Become a supporter

This newspaper has been a central part of community life for many years. Our industry faces testing times, which is why we're asking for your support. Every contribution will help us continue to produce local journalism that makes a measurable difference to our community.

Latest from the Lowestoft Journal