Lowestoft regret first half horror show

PUBLISHED: 16:49 30 September 2010

Lowestoft rugby

Lowestoft rugby


Lowestoft lose out away at Wanstead

Lowestoft & Yarmouth 19

AS a contest, this match was over after 20 minutes. The Lowestoft and Yarmouth side that appeared in the first half was a mere shadow of the team seen so far this season and they were duly taken apart by an efficient Wanstead side in a five-try blitz.

L&Y actually managed to turn the game on its head in the second half, making good use of the wind and sun on a sloping pitch, running in three tries of their own and pushing Wanstead mightily close to conceding two bonus points.

Wanstead were completely in control at the break as Chris Luxmore (2), John Smith, Paul Christopholi and Paul Casey all touched down.

With some stern words from the management, and the advantage of the weather and slope, L&Y were a different team in the second period.

The vast majority of the half was spent in Wanstead territory and they never threatened the line again. Man of the match Jake Titterington kept popping up in midfield with some heavy ball-carries and, early in the half, one of these took him over the line for L&Y’s first try, converted by Russ Chapman. Scott Nelson then released speedster Myles McAlone for another try. The pressure told again when the referee awarded a penalty try, quickly converted by Chapman.

If you value what this story gives you, please consider supporting the Lowestoft Journal. Click the link in the yellow box below for details.

Become a supporter

This newspaper has been a central part of community life for many years, through good times and bad, serving as your advocate and trusted source of local information. Our industry is facing testing times, which is why I’m asking for your support. Every single contribution will help us continue to produce award-winning local journalism that makes a measurable difference to our community.

Thank you.

Most Read

Most Read

Latest from the Lowestoft Journal