Lowestoft set to clinch title

PUBLISHED: 09:26 20 April 2009 | UPDATED: 09:03 06 July 2010

LOWESTOFT can seal the Ridgeon's League Premier Division title with victory at Mildenhall on Tuesday after their 4-0 success against Histon Reserves, on Saturday.

LOWESTOFT can seal the Ridgeon's League Premier Division title with victory at Mildenhall on Tuesday after their 4-0 success against Histon Reserves, on Saturday.

The long-time leaders stand 11 points clear of second placed CRC with four games each left to play and three points against mid-table Mildenhall will guarantee the Blues top spot.

Saturday's victory came courtesy of goals from Gary McGee, Russell Stock, Gary Williams and Richard Woodrow, while CRC were also 4-0 winners, at home to Harwich.

The Cambridge side are favourites to clinch runners-up spot, but the battle for third place remains in the balance.

Wroxham currently hold the position after bouncing back from their midweek Norfolk Senior Cup final defeat to beat Haverhill 3-1.

Josh Carus nudged home following a corner to put the Yachtsmen ahead on 30 minutes, but the lead was surrendered three minutes after half-time when Marcus Hunt equalised.

Gavin Lemmon restored Wroxham's advantage eight minutes from time and Carus wrapped up the points with his second.

Kirkley & Pakefield are level on points with Wroxham, having played a game more, following their 5-2 win at Wivenhoe.

K&P made a flying start as Robert Horton netted after just 90 seconds, but Wivenhoe levelled through Jeff Shepherd's penalty. Within two minutes, the visitors were back in front when skipper Juston Fox's wind-assisted effort flew into the net from long range.

Jordan Blythe latched on to James Cole's flick on to make it 3-1 and Chris Henderson added a fourth before the break.

On 55 minutes, Liam Harvey-Cooper outpaced the defence to put K&P 5-1 ahead, before Carl O'Sullivan pulled a goal back for Wivenhoe at the death.

Dereham's hopes of finishing third suffered a setback when they were beaten 2-1 at their FA Vase conquerors, Needham Market.

Simon Mowbray put the Magpies ahead on 20 minutes, and thought they had doubled their lead, but Jay Eastoe-Smith's header was ruled out for offside.

Needham found a route back into the game when Pat Bexfield seized on a mistake to fire home and the sides went in level at the break.

Dereham won a penalty for handball in the 72nd minute, but Danny Beaumont's spot-kick was saved and Mowbray blasted the rebound over the bar.

They were made to pay for that miss when Danny Phillips netted a 77th minute winner following a goalmouth scramble.

Norwich United boosted their survival hopes with a 3-1 win at home to Ely - despite playing much of the second half with nine men.

Ely had taken the lead on 22 minutes through Warren Preston, but Nathan Thompson made it all-square 10 minutes later. Just before the break, the Planters were reduced to 10 men when Craig Ferguson was sent off having received a second yellow card.

Eleven minutes after the break, it was Craig Roberts' turn to see red after being shown a second yellow for a seemingly innocuous foul.

Ely were unable to take advantage, however, and substitute Josh Hull gave Norwich a shock lead two minutes from time. Another sub, Shaun Bammant, made it safe in injury time as Norwich moved to within two points of the teams above them.

King's Lynn Reserves, fresh from their Senior Cup success, managed a creditable 0-0 draw at Walsham-le-Willows.

Great Yarmouth's challenge for third place in Division One faltered slightly as they could only a manager a 0-0 draw at home to Saffron Walden, who had Tom Richardson sent off.

Gorleston moved to within a point of the Bloaters with a 1-0 win at Ipswich Wanderers, while Diss won 1-0 at home to Godmanchester, Jake Berry scoring the winner.

Downham lost 3-1 at home to FC Clacton, while Thetford picked up a point from their trip to Cornard. Sam Bryant put Thetford ahead, but Clacton snatched an equaliser five minutes from time.

Fakenham went down 1-0 to a 36th minute free-kick strike from Tom Austin.

Swaffham drew 0-0 at fellow strugglers Long Melford.

If you value what this story gives you, please consider supporting the Lowestoft Journal. Click the link in the orange box above for details.

Most Read

Most Read

Latest from the Lowestoft Journal