Ipswich Town X1 set for Crown Meadow clash
- Credit: Shirley D Whitlow
Lowestoft Town FC will make a long-awaited return to competitive football action in 11 days time.
The unveiling of the new Southern Premier Central League fixture list will see the new season kick off on Saturday, September 19 as Jamie Godbold’s men travel to Barwell on the opening day.
But, ahead of this, Lowestoft will make a competitive return to the pitch at 7.45pm on Tuesday, September 15 as The Blues face Bury Town at the Goldstar Ground – home of Felixstowe & Walton United FC – in the Turners Hyundai Suffolk Premier Cup semi final.
In accordance with The FA’s return to football guidance, the semi final encounter – which was due to be played in March before lockdown amid the continuing coronavirus crisis – is limited to a crowd of 400.
Ahead of that, Lowestoft’s pre season campaign is gathering pace – and another home friendly has now been announced.
You may also want to watch:
Next Tuesday, September 8 The Trawlerboys will entertain The Tractorboys as an Ipswich Town XI visit Crown Meadow for a prestigious friendly, with a 7.30pm kick off.
Lowestoft Town chairman Gary Keyzor told the club’s website: “Lowestoft Town FC are delighted to be able to welcome an Ipswich Town XI to Crown Meadow on September 8.
- 1 Key workers share 'frustrating' impact of panic-buying of fuel
- 2 Hunt continues for two men involved in assault in Lowestoft
- 3 'Enough to go around' - Drivers urged not to panic-buy at petrol pumps
- 4 Scheme unveiled for former pub and butchers on town's High Street
- 5 Search continues for man with knife who chased victim into KFC
- 6 Man's death 'remains unexplained' after body found in Lowestoft
- 7 Lowestoft family feature on Channel 5 show with Nick Knowles
- 8 Hunt for three men 'ongoing' after victim hit during Lowestoft assault
- 9 Have your say about the future of Pakefield's eroding coastline
- 10 Air ambulance responds to woman in 20s after emergency in Lowestoft
“Supporters will be able to attend the game and more information about the capacity, tickets and COVID measures will be released shortly.”
On the field, a squad mixed with Blues regulars, Academy players and trialists have taken part in three pre-season matches – with the most recent game last Saturday abandoned a few minutes into the second half following a serious injury to Bowers & Pitsea striker Brad Warner, who was injured after falling awkwardly as he scored the Essex side’s third goal.
Before the intriguing Ipswich clash, Lowestoft face a trip to Felixstowe & Walton tomorrow (September 5).
With the new league campaign pitting The Blues with derby games at Leiston on Boxing Day and a Crown Meadow clash on Easter bank holiday Monday, April 5, Lowestoft will also face Needham Market away on October 27 and at home on January 23.
Ahead of the new league season, Lowestoft Town chairman Gary Keyzor said: “We look forward to seeing as many Trawlerboys supporters both home and away and trust you will ensure that you follow any and all guidelines in place throughout the season.”