Lowestoft Town set for massive test at Sutton

PUBLISHED: 12:09 11 February 2011

Matt Nolan equalised from the penalty spot for Lowestoft Town before Tooting and Mitcham's late winner.

Matt Nolan equalised from the penalty spot for Lowestoft Town before Tooting and Mitcham's late winner.

Archant © 2009

LOWESTOFT’S 17 game unbeaten league run came to an end in a cruel manner when Tooting & Mitcham United scored a winning goal with the last kick of the game on Tuesday evening.

Despite dominating the game for long periods the Blues attack had a goal shy look about it until the introduction of Matt Nolan with half an hour left to play.

At that time the Blues were trailing by a single goal but Nolan’s presence perked up their attacking options and he both won and converted a penalty for the equalising goal and later had a goal disallowed.

The Blues management will also be critical of the defensive lapses that gifted Tooting their two goals.

It had been a similar story against Hastings on Saturday with the Blues sorely missing the physical presence of Lee McGlone injured in a road accident the previous day.

Lowestoft again had to come from behind with Michael Frew netting the equalising goal.

The games are still coming thick and fast and tomorrow Town face a real trial of character as they travel to league leaders Sutton United.

With three supporters’ coaches making the trip down to Sutton the Blues are sure to be well supported and will be looking for a return to better form having drawn three and lost one in the last four matches.

Tuesday evening sees another game against one of the leading clubs with a first ever visit to the Meadow by Kingstonian.

The Reserves produced a below par performance away to Diss Town Reserves last Saturday and suffered their first league defeat of the season.

Louis Cutajar scored for them in the 1-3 defeat. Tomorrow they are back at the Meadow with Leiston Reserves the visitors.

The Youth team were due to visit Harford Tornadoes yesterday (Thursday) and next Wednesday are away to Gorleston Youth.

The U16s were without a fixture last week due to Swindell being unable to raise a side.

The U15s, in a rare appearance at the Crown Meadow, reached the final of the League Cup with a 4-3 penalty shoot-out victory after a thrilling match had ended 1-1 after extra time. Connor Doddington scored the goal for the young Blues.

Terry Lynes

If you value what this story gives you, please consider supporting the Lowestoft Journal. Click the link in the yellow box below for details.

Become a supporter

This newspaper has been a central part of community life for many years, through good times and bad, serving as your advocate and trusted source of local information. Our industry is facing testing times, which is why I’m asking for your support. Every single contribution will help us continue to produce award-winning local journalism that makes a measurable difference to our community.

Thank you.

Most Read

Most Read

Latest from the Lowestoft Journal