Lowestoft & Yarmouth back in action - but it’s another defeat

PUBLISHED: 08:58 10 November 2017

Lowestoft & Yarmouth on the front foot during Saturday's home defeat against Woodbridge. Picture: Michael Howes

Lowestoft & Yarmouth on the front foot during Saturday's home defeat against Woodbridge. Picture: Michael Howes


Lowestoft & Yarmouth returned to action on Saturday after being forced to concede the previous week due to a lack of available players.

Woodbridge were first to use the boot in blustery conditions, keen to take territory by running through a larger opposition.

Lowestoft’s big Fijian No 8 John Wedlock picked and drove from a maul to threaten in the Warriors’ 22 but a strong rip from Matt Bowman let full-back Angus Clogg clear.

Aldis Salavejs took a penalty line out cleanly but the attack was thwarted by some aggressive defence from Lowestoft skipper Marcus Sale and fellow flanker Brett Thomas.

Dan Bond and Dan Knights bounded through centre-field for Jamie Smith to pass to Jono Cooke who set up Salavejs to score.

From the kick-off Sale galloped down the left wing until stopped by Clogg. Play moved to the other wing where Wedlock barrellrf through the Warriors’ line-out to score wide.

Lowestoft kept up the pressure, Tom Dare kicking well, but the Warriors had the territory.

The intensity increased as both sides turned up the heat. A penalty gave Woodbridge three points and they kept attacking with some good hands.

Patient build-up was rewarded when scrum ball was moved through Cooke, Stokes and Clogg to Smith who scored. L&Y came back with centre Stephen Gaines attacking the Warriors’ 22 supported by Wedlock, only for hooker Lewis Fox to fumble the last pass.

The second half started with a penalty against Lowestoft from which Smith made another carry supported by Bowman from which Sam Hallows scored under the posts.

Kicks pinned the hosts back and locks Gavin Pashlec and Richard Hyde defended hard. After yet another penalty Woodbridge were back in the corner and after quick ball through Hart, Tom Stokes and Smith and it was wing Simon Ward who scored.

A couple of men down Lowestoft’s Dare kept the battle aerial before Woodbridge ran from deep and Salavejs scored his second.

Shortly afterwards Hart scampered 40 metres passed to sub Jeff Buchanan who was stopped by a try-saving tackle from Lowestoft full back Benjamin Thompson.

L&Y are due to make the long trip to Wisbech on Saturday.

If you value what this story gives you, please consider supporting the Lowestoft Journal. Click the link in the orange box below for details.

Become a supporter

This newspaper has been a central part of community life for many years, through good times and bad, serving as your advocate and trusted source of local information. Our industry is facing testing times, which is why I’m asking for your support. Every single contribution will help us continue to produce award-winning local journalism that makes a measurable difference to our community.

Thank you.

Most Read

Most Read

Latest from the Lowestoft Journal