Magic-man McKenna in gr-eight form for Kirkley

PUBLISHED: 10:23 29 October 2010

Kirkley & Pakefield 16, Leiston 1

ALI McKenna was the star of the show scoring eight goals as Kirkley & Pakefield stormed to victory in the Ridegeons League Cup tie and inflicted a record defeat on the Blues.

Leiston did make 11 changes from the side that drew with Dartford on the Saturday, and it also didn’t help that they played them again in an FA Cup replay the day before this game, yet take nothing away from a fine K&P performance which saw them strike quickly.

Russell Stock’s fine through ball was comfortably finished off by McKenna as early as the first minute.

With Stock commanding, the attacking players linked up effectively as Scott Martin and Liam Harvey-Cooper went close to making it two.

Alex Holmes then hit the side netting as Tarren Grint and Ian Dawson looked particularly strong early on.

As Kirkley continued to dominate, the second goal arrived on 19 minutes, some patient passing play allowed McKenna to glance in Liam Harvey-Cooper’s cross for 2-0.

As Leiston looked to regroup, Kirkley caught them by surprise just a minute later as Stock’s flick was knocked home by central defender Ryan De Coteau to send the Royals 3-0 up after just 20 minutes.

McKenna then robbed central defender David Bullard and his left-foot shot easily beat keeper Lewis Longman to complete a fine hat-trick in just 25 minutes.

The lead was soon increased, as McKenna’s cross was completely missed by the goalkeeper, allowing Holmes to side-foot into an empty net, albeit from a tight angle.

With K&P rampant, it came as a shock when away youth team regular Toby Kerslake unleashed a 25-yard strike past keeper Dave Attridge to make the score 5-1 at the break.

After the interval, keeper Longman suffered a nasty injury and had to be replaced – yet substitute keeper Craig Cooper didn’t fare much better against the Kirkley attack as Holmes’ pin-point cross found Liam Harvey-Cooper and his scuffed shot was headed into his own net by Aaron Smith, although the Kirkley winger will definitely claim the goal.

With K&P firmly dictating the play, the seventh goal arrived on 56 minutes as new signing Matty Potter crossed for McKenna to tap home.

As the Leiston side looked to spring some passes together, it was Kirkley who pounced again soon after as McKenna rounded the goalkeeper and smashed the ball in from virtually on the goal-line.

Number nine arrived thanks to De Coteau’s towering header and shortly after Kirkley hit double figures as Scott Manning headed in from close range after Ian Dawson’s free-kick had struck the bar.

With everyone trying to get in on the act, credit Leiston for battling on even after substitute Bodie Carter’s powerful free-kick flew into the top corner to make the score 11-1.

A full-strength K&P side were soon building on the lead as Ryan Crisp squared for McKenna to complete his double hat-trick and moments later Dawson’s corner was headed in by McKenna to take his tally to seven and the score to 13-1.

As the game neared its conclusion, Holmes teed up Crisp to round the keeper and score and McKenna completed his scoring for the night after a great solo run and finish to take the total to 15.

There was still time for the referee to award a penalty in the final moments of the match, which was converted by Dawson to complete the emphatic win. 

K&P: Attridge, Grint, Potter, Jefford, De Coteau, Martin, Holmes, Dawson, Stock, McKenna, Harvey-Cooper. Subs: Manning (for Jefford), Horton, Crisp (for Stock), Carter (for Potter).

MoM: Ali McKenna.

Attendance: 120

Joe Randlesome

Most Read

Most Read

Latest from the Lowestoft Journal