Picture gallery: Kirkley Reserves beat Dersingham Rovers

Kirkley & Pakefield Reserves 2, Dersingham Rovers 0

K&P Reserves secured back-to-back victories in the Anglian Combination Premier Division with an impressive win over Dersingham Rovers.

James Hutchinson's side completed their fifth league win of the season as they look to progress up the table following last season's promotion.

K&P started the match quickly in some tricky, wet conditions as Danny Stokeld failed to connect with a dangerous free-kick, and an in-swinging corner landed straight onto the Dersingham crossbar from the left hand side.

However, the early pressure didn't warrant a goal, as the away side began to impose themselves in the game. On 12 minutes Kirkley keeper Sam Thacker spilt a dangerous effort on goal, yet to his credit he was quickly back on his feet to prevent the danger. At the other end, a commanding run from Lewis Flower provoked the away defence into acting quickly to clear the ball away.

You may also want to watch:

The first goal was crucial and fortunately for the home side they broke through on 19 minutes. A pin-point ball into the area found winger Adam Bellis and his powerful low cross was lashed into the net from close range by Stokeld. It was the striker's third goal in two games following his brace against Beccles, and he showed great predatory instinct to be in the right place at the right time to apply the crucial final touch.

As the half wore on, no real gilt edged chanced were created, the closest either side came was a long-range effort from full back Adam Boggis that flew just wide.

Most Read

K&P Reserves were always on the lookout for a second goal before the interval with Paul Highfield, Connor Borrett and Bellis all providing a threat going forward. Yet it wasn't to be as the home side went in at the break a goal to the good as the rain intensified.

After the restart the Royals again started on top as Borrett shot wide and substitute Oliver Winram caused havoc with a great ball into Bellis, yet his cross was headed over the bar by Borrett once again.

The chances continued to fall for the home side as Highfield set up Winram, yet his attempted chip flew over the crossbar. The game then sparked into life as a few of the Dersingham players opposed the reaction of Highfield, after he was on the receiving end of a sliding challenge, and this caused both teams to apply pressure in an attempt to score the all important second goal. Dersingham did have the ball in the net soon after, yet it was ruled out for a foul on Thacker, and Borrett hit a shot over as the away keeper strangely raced out to half way line.

With the match perfectly poised, and the pitch becoming ever more slippery, Winram missed a great one on one opportunity before Kirkley doubled their advantage. Borrett started and finished the move and after a great ball to Tacon, the winger was there to finish off a perfect cross and put the game out of reach of the away side.

Referee Mehmet Kurudere was then involved as two Dersingham players were booked for decent after appealing for a foul in the build up to the goal. Yet there was nothing they, or the rest of the team, could do about the result as K&P Reserves secured the points and enhanced their push up the table.

Joe Randlesome

Become a Supporter

This newspaper has been a central part of community life for many years. Our industry faces testing times, which is why we're asking for your support. Every contribution will help us continue to produce local journalism that makes a measurable difference to our community.

Become a Supporter
Comments powered by Disqus