Proctor wins final race to take Marrison Temple Shield

PUBLISHED: 15:40 12 July 2012

Thomas Mantripp and Ben Sallis in the Junior boats

Thomas Mantripp and Ben Sallis in the Junior boats


A sunny evening at Nicholas Everitt Park was to set the scene for racing action at Oulton Broad.

And among the many spectators was the former club commodore Derek Issit who is also an ex racer himself. Issit still holds the F3 lap record at the broad. As for the racing, the crowd was treated to a fair turn out of boats in each class.

Sportsboat racing was to once again see three F2 boats joining the F4 of Brian Shulver, Scott Curtis and the monohull of Matt Proctor.

Mike Pacey has to be missing from the last two weeks line up as he was involved in a minor road accident but will return later this season.

The mighty F2’s were in the form of Carl Wigg, John Masters in the ICS boat and Barry Hall from Ipswich racing in the new Hall F2.

Barry was to start one lap ahead of Wigg who later said that he was racing with one hand as the other was holding his canopy closed due to a clip failure which was fixed for heat two and John Masters was to follow.

Scott Curtis was to be the only retirement of the evening after he had engine problems.

But it was Brian Shulver in his F4 that was to win heat one with John Master getting through the field to second and Barry Hall third.

Heat two was to see Mono driver Matt Proctor win, Carl Wigg was second and Barr Hall third.

The final heat was all to play for with Shulver and Proctor equal on points for first and Wigg and Master joint fourth with Hall laying in third.

But it was Matthew Proctor who was to win the final race and the Marrison Temple Shield Trophy with Brian Shulver in second and a third place overall for Barry Hall.

Hydroplanes saw seven entries including the return of Mark White in the Kermit Hydrocat.

Mark’s night was short-lived as he suffered more damage to the hull and may possibly be the end of the boat’s racing life. Jason Lark, in his OSY400, was to also suffer engine problems but he was having a bad evening in general with a spin at the wherry turn in heat one.

Paul Jillings, running his 350cc hydro, was also to suffer all evening with problems but he did manage to finish one out of the three races but managed a miserable seventh position.

David Jones was the winner overall of the Snowling trophy with two wins and a second place giving him the outright victory and also a bottle of champagne donated by fellow competitor Mark White.

Jamie Marr was to finish second and third position was to be awarded to Jason Freeman.

Missing in action was Wayne Turner as he was racing in Hungary in the F250cc championship and finished in a creditable third position.

The Juniors were running for the Jon Burr trophy was once again a three boat race but a very rare occurrence was to happen with Thomas Mantripp winning heat one.

Leon Wigg winning heat two and Ben Sallis winning heat three meant that all three drivers finished the night on equal points as they had each got the same positions overnight. Presenting the junior trophy was Jenny Jelf who is the chairperson of CRC, the sport race committee.

The trophy will be shared for four months each with Mantirpp being the first to take it home after the order was drawn out of a hat.

Thomas Yallop was to test his GT30 Monohull ready for the third round of the National Championships Kingsbury Water Park in the Midlands.

Most Read

Most Read

Latest from the Lowestoft Journal

Hot Jobs

Show Job Lists