Record powerboating finale

PUBLISHED: 12:45 29 August 2008 | UPDATED: 21:09 05 July 2010

James Bowman

James Bowman

A RECORD entry for 2008 of 41 boats attended the final Lowestoft and Oulton Broad Motor Boat Club championship round on August Monday on Oulton Broad.

Twenty of these were outboard hydroplanes and for the first time this season it was necessary to split the classes.

A RECORD entry for 2008 of 41 boats attended the final Lowestoft and Oulton Broad Motor Boat Club championship round on August Monday on Oulton Broad.

Twenty of these were outboard hydroplanes and for the first time this season it was necessary to split the classes. Eleven racing outboards were in one group and the six OSY, two Crescents and the 0-125 were in the other group. In sportsboats, ten catamarans were entered, and six monohulls.

All the championships were settled before this final round, except the Juniors, where just nine points separated James Bowman from Kieran Rix. Five juniors took to the water with Kieran Rix motoring to three straight wins and 1,200 points for the New Club Trophy. Jake Wisdom took three second places to finish with 1,080 points. Craig Jude in the slowest boat initially led each race, until caught by George Perks but James Bowman motoring from the back of the field took third place in two of the races and fourth in the other to score 940 points for third place and 15 championship points to win the club title by just four points from Rix.

The catamaran title had already been secured by Robin Day in the Formula 3 and he could do no better than sixth place in this final round. Nigel Whitlam had the Formula 1 on song at last and blasted to 400 points in the first race over Stephen Batch, Brian Shulver, Tim Lewis and Paul Batch with F4s. Ray Read loaned his Gardin to John Masters while he was in the Molgaard raced by son Matthew in the past. Whitlam came through the pack to another win in the second heat over Shulver and Paul Batch. Numbers were diminishing by the final heat with Paul Veares, Roger Watson, Masters and Lewis all having engine problems. Brian Shulver raced to the win and a total of 1,084 to take the Jack Wilson Trophy for Formula 4s, whilst Nigel Whitlam in second place overall, 1,062 points took the Comtec Trophy. Paul Batch finished third overall with 946 points.

Monohull champion Pete Mantripp had secured the title for a second year by the end of July, and from scratch position he motored to third place in two of the races, improving to second place in the final race to score 1,008 points. Jonathan Brett in the Buff Racing craft was uncatchable taking maximum 1,200 points to secure the Lions Trophy. Jonathan Lewis in the Blufin took two second places and a fifth to net 982 points for third position. Adam Shearing, Ray Birnie and David Brett in the Masters T-850 made up the rest of the field.

Mike Pacey took the club hydroplane title for a second season in his OSY 400 craft, but the racing today was headed by national OSY champion Tony Knights who ran home first in both of the completed races, 800 points and the Hubert Palfrey Trophy. Pacey motored to third in the opening heat and second in the other race gave him 525 points and second overall. Rob Hales in another OSY with 427 points took third position overall. Tony Calver and David Jones with their Crescent craft both struck engine problems as did Stephen Smith (OSY), whilst Wayne Turner failed to make up his handicap with the scratch position 0-125 to finish fourth overall. Tom Sawford was welcomed back with the Jason Mantripp OSY and another member of the McVaigh clan, Jake Boswell was at the helm of the club training OSY boat finishing fifth and sixth.

The racing outboards, last on the programme promised well, with a good entry, but for the second year at this Bank Holiday gala meeting were reduced to just one completed heat. Matt Lockwood with the 500ccGRM/Trombetta catamaran motored through to a fine win from Julian Codling 350cc and Paul Jillings 250cc Tracey McVaigh came home fourth in her 500cc prop rider. Kevin Turner with the 500cc hydrocat was home fifth ahead of Sam Perks 500cc prop rider. Stuart Grieve with the Molgaard hydrocat came home seventh, whilst his son Jamie in his first drive with the Konig powered Fort hydrocat motored well as did Keith McVaigh until engine failure. Carl Wigg with the ASV/GRM failed to start this opening race.

Heat two was three laps old when Stuart Grieve clipped the rear end of Paul Jillings at the top turn and barrel rolled. The race was stopped, whilst Grieve was recovered and received medical attention. Unfortunately a delay of 30 minutes caused the late starting of the re-run, which was halted when Sam Perks stalled exiting the Wherry buoy. The destination of the Doug Willey Trophy was to Matt Lockwood with the 400 points from the completed heat.

If you value what this story gives you, please consider supporting the Lowestoft Journal. Click the link in the orange box below for details.

Become a supporter

This newspaper has been a central part of community life for many years, through good times and bad, serving as your advocate and trusted source of local information. Our industry is facing testing times, which is why I’m asking for your support. Every single contribution will help us continue to produce award-winning local journalism that makes a measurable difference to our community.

Thank you.

Most Read

Most Read

Latest from the Lowestoft Journal