Red card and another injury as Kirkley & Pakefield lose at home again

PUBLISHED: 08:09 01 September 2017

Kirkley & Pakefield  get back on level terms against Haverhill Borough - but there wasn't to be a happy ending. Picture: Bryan Grint

Kirkley & Pakefield get back on level terms against Haverhill Borough - but there wasn't to be a happy ending. Picture: Bryan Grint


For their Thurlow Nunn Premier Division League match last Saturday winless Kirkley & Pakefield welcomed newly-promoted Haverhill Borough, still looking for their first point of the season.

Despite the Royals’ last two impressive performances gaining successive away draws they have been hit badly with injuries, losing both strikers Liam Harvey-Cooper and Kyle Baker for a number of weeks and defender Lewis Flower to illness.

After lengthy treatment Dylan Blades was fit enough to take his place up front with Miguel Lopez returning to the starting line-up.

Poor defending led to the visitors taking a ninth-minute lead through a Ryan Kent header. Then on 22 minutes Royals central defender Elliot Whiteside sustained a nasty-looking knee injury and had to be replaced by youth player Harry Creamer, making his debut.

On 29 minutes captain Jack Herbert’s header from a corner levelled the scores and some five minutes later both teams were reduced to 10 men following an incident that saw Borough captain Casey Phillips and Royals striker Blades shown red cards.

Just before the interval a good shot from Lopez curled just over whilst Creamer headed just over.

K&P started the second half brightly with Jordan Haverson being put through only to fire just over. Five minutes later the same player again beat the offside trap, only to see his shot trickle past the post after seeming to be pushed in the area.

Haylock saw his fine strike from 20 yards brilliantly saved and Rogers did likewise at the other end before an Eagleton foul inside the area saw Rory Bone slot home from the spot to put the visitors 2-1 up in the 68th minute.

A well-constructed Royals move a few minutes later between Haverson, Haylock and Lopez saw Haverson’s shot well saved and then Lopez’s centre was just missed by Haverson when he should have levelled.

On 74 minutes substitute Matt Staines increased the Haverhill lead when he just managed to see the ball go in the net after a fine Rogers save.

Further efforts saw both keepers on top form as the Royals suffered a fourth successive home defeat.

Kirkley & Pakefield: Rogers, Grint, Haylock, Hammond, Herbert, E Whiteside (Creamer 22), Williams (Holt 65), Eagleton (Wall 80), Blades, Lopez, Haverson.

If you value what this story gives you, please consider supporting the Lowestoft Journal. Click the link in the orange box above for details.

Most Read

Most Read

Latest from the Lowestoft Journal