Search

Roy's chilling message to squad

PUBLISHED: 20:13 21 July 2009 | UPDATED: 10:59 06 July 2010

THE message may have been delivered calmly but the threat from Roy Keane was chilling none the less - Ipswich Town players who have not performed will fall by the wayside.

THE message may have been delivered calmly but the threat from Roy Keane was chilling none the less - Ipswich Town players who have not performed will fall by the wayside.

The Blues boss was clearly not happy with Town's shoddy performance in the 2-0 defeat at Cork City and warned that he was looking to discard players as from this week.

He said: “That wasn't good enough. You can't kid a kidder and I'm not going say I'm delighted because that was not acceptable.

“Some players had another opportunity to impress me and they didn't take it.

“Some players have run out of chances.”

Normally so deadly in front of goal, Town failed to find the net in front of 3,262 fans at Turners Cross.

Keane said: “We had a couple of half chances early on and didn't take them.

“Cork are a good team but the two goals we gave away were abysmal at any level.

“We started a bit sluggish and players weren't holding the ball up and that made it a long 90 minutes.

“If we had been there until midnight we weren't going to score and you have to stick the ball in the back of the net.”

Despite his obvious disappointment Keane did not over-react but made it clear he expects much better

He said: “I try not to over-analyse pre-season as I have been involved with teams that have been flying but then it doesn't happen when the season starts and vice-versa.

“The new lads are settling in and I'm pleased with them. The players are off and back in on Tuesday. It has been hectic and I have told them to go away and switch off.

“We are back in on Tuesday and then have games Wednesday and Saturday.

“Over the next week or we will be nailing things down in terms of team shape and players will fall by the wayside.

“Players should appreciate every day and every game they play in means something.

“When I had four or five weeks out I was like a mad man wanting to come back and the players need to be like that. Champing at the bit to play football and that will come across in the football and that didn't happen.

“It was poor enough from my point of view. We started badly and gradually got worse.

“Some players got some match practice but other than that few positives. Credit Cork who have a few good players, although we have no interest in any of them at the moment.

Asked if he still had a two-year target to get Town promoted, Keane quipped: “After today I would have thought it would be more like 22 years.”

Keane once again expressed his concern over Cork City's future as they face a winding-up order.

He said: “You saw what a good team they are and if they were to disappear in the next few weeks would be an absolute disaster. Please God something falls into place for them.”

Keane has offered Shane O'Connor a one year contract with Ipswich Town after the former Liverpool youngster impressed on trial.

The Cork-born 19-year-old, who started with youth side Wilton United in Ireland, is expected to sign the deal today but will have to wait to break into the first team squad.

Keane said: “We have offered Shane a one-year deal and I expect he will sign it.

“He still has a lot to do and will be with the development squad over the next couple of months.”

An FA Youth Cup winner with Liverpool, O'Connor has shown his versatility and his chirpy attitude has helped him land a deal.

Town go to Southend tomorrow night, then entertain Colchester United on Saturday in a friendly that will double up as Fabian Wilnis' testimonial day.

Most Read

Most Read

Latest from the Lowestoft Journal

Hot Jobs

Show Job Lists