Senior football reports round up

PUBLISHED: 14:07 22 October 2010

Blundeston Magpies 2, Southwold 0

MAGPIES progressed to the second round of the Suffolk Junior Cup with this victory over Anglian Combination Division 2 side Southwold.

In a game influenced by the strong wind, Southwold kicked with the wind in first half and dominated the early exchanges but found the Magpies back four too good to get passed.

This saw the Magpies work their way into the game and both Crowe and Martin went close.

In the second half Magpies got on top and several really good chances were missed before a clever chip from Crowe made the keeper, in attempting to catch the ball, fall into the back of the net.

Martin was running his socks off and with man of the match Bowen winning every header and being supported by the energetic Chong it was surprising that Magpies couldn’t score another.

Chong made a 40-yard run taking on four defenders only to see his shot go past the post.

England swapped positions and within minutes collected the ball in midfield ran through and hit a terrific shot from 25 yards giving the keeper no chance. Magpies then left the lone ranger Martin up front and saw the time out by stifling the Southwold attacks. This was a really good team effort and bodes well for the Magpies.

Corton Reserves 3, 
Saham Toney 1

HAVING lost two consecutive fixtures the Reserves really needed these three points.

This was a strange encounter, facing a team which they had never played and knowing very little about.

Toney’s style of play was somewhat different to Corton’s, aggressive tactics were not what Corton’s youngsters had encountered before.

Saham’s approach certainly gave them the upper hand in the beginning of this match, and the young Reserves looked stunned at what they were up against.

Tom Webb produced a fine fingertip save on the ten minute mark to prevent Toney going ahead.

After this though Corton did settle, sticking together as a team and refusing to be bossed around.

The Reserves’ first attack of any quality resulted in a goal, a triangle of passes from J Fretter, E Mills and A Foreman managed to split the defence with ease and the in-form Lewis Stebbings coolly slotted home for his seventh goal this season.

Once again tempers were raised, the Toney’s number seven was lucky to escape with just a yellow after a deliberate two-footed lunge.

This tactic then roused the visitors as their central midfielder had ridden two weak challengers, and then fired a terrific 25 yard strike which gave Webb no chance.

A goal apiece at the break and Corton’s heads were down. After a few harsh words from the management Corton started the second period much stronger.

As the Reserves pressed into the Toney’s half they were rewarded a corner, the ball was delivered with pace to the far post for Ethan Mills to rise above all and power his header into the bottom right hand corner.

Corton’s defence was excellent, and the new addition of R Jaffer alongside Jones and George certainly seemed to help.

This time Saham Toney’s discipline had well and truly gone, several players were cautioned and one sent for an early bath meant Corton were really in the driving seat.

It wasn’t long before all three points were wrapped up, a defensive mix up saw Mills run clear and with precision calmly seal the victory. MoM: Ethan Mills.


Norton 2, Pakefield Re-United 3

NORTON lost their first league game in almost a year on a weekend that saw them severley hampered by injuries and unavailability – leaving both sides with just the bare 11 players.

The first team had to call on veteran striker Nigel Hudson but his two goals failed to prevent them from going down 3-2 to Pakefield Re-United.

This was a poor performance from the team that looks low on belief at present.

Buxton Reserves 1, 
Norton Reserves 4

NORTON Reserves, after a torrid start to the season, won for the first time at Buxton Reserves in the second round of the Primary Cup.

This was a great team display that saw James Asksew strike twice with Dominic Moore and Gary Crisp also on target.


Marquis of Lorne 4, 
Oulton Athletic 2

THIS game started badly for the Marquis who went 2-0 down in 10 minutes with an own goal and a blatant offside goal.

But this kicked the Marquis into gear and from going 2-0 down they controlled the game and on 35 minutes David Higgins scored to make the half time score 2-1 to Oulton.

The second half saw the Marquis take complete control and four minutes into the second half Higgins scored to level the scores.

Then on 51 minutes John Sorrell scored direct from a free kick and he then scored again on 89 minutes to give the Marquis their first win.

Carlton Red House 3, 
Waveney Hearts 4

A MICHAEL Tacon hat-trick ignited Waveney Hearts’ slow burn of a season as they came out on top in a seven goal thriller against plucky Division One new boys Carlton Red House at the Carlton Colville Community Centre.

Despite ace marksman Tacon walking off with the match ball and the plaudits, the architects of Hearts’ maiden three-pointer this season were the midfield trio of Carl Burgess, Jamie Pells and the fit-again Henry Wyndham.

Fresh from a three week break, Red House opened the scoring in the 28th minute through an emphatic Chris Campbell penalty after the same player was felled in the box by Jordan Adams, one half of the teenage Waveney centre back pairing.

The visitors squared things up just two minutes later after Joel Haverson picked out Tacon and the front man finished smartly from an acute angle and with Burgess, Pells and Wyndham pulling the strings, Hearts laid siege to the Red House goal for the remainder of the first period.

The home side finally broke out and converted their first second half chance (63) to move ahead again but Tacon equalised for the second time, again just 120 seconds later, following good work by Hearts’ other young centre-half Josh Armes.

The Carlton side once again hit Hearts on the break with a fine chipped effort (77) and looked likely to pull off a real smash and grab raid but a fine low strike from Pells (83) levelled things up at 3-3 before red-hot Tacon (85) side-stepped two defenders and drove home his third and Hearts’ fourth goal.

Sunrise Inn MoM; Michael Tacon.

Hearts of Oak 2, 
Lady of the Lake Argyle 2

THIS pulsating match at Dip Farm finished all square but Lady of the Lake drew first blood with a neatly worked free kick after just eight minutes.

Matthew McComas played the ball short to Kenny Fenton who dribbled into the box before driving the ball past the ‘keeper.

The game ebbed and flowed between two sides who enjoy breaking fast from defence but it was the home side who scored next when Lewis Zipfell was adjudged to have handled in the penalty box.

The resulting kick was driven low into the net. Worse was to come for Argyle five minutes later when keeper Lukan Squires was only able to scramble away a poweful strike but the Hearts of Oak striker was first to the ball to drive it home.

The speed of the Argyle counter attacks seemed to unsettle the home side and from one of these Michael Potter profited with a fine strike from a narrow angle.

Although there were no goals in the second half, both sides came mighty close and Squires, the busier of the two ‘keepers, showed remarkable composure under pressure and excellent positioning.

MoM: Nick Hawkes.

Most Read

Most Read

Latest from the Lowestoft Journal