Shorten brief

PUBLISHED: 08:00 26 September 2008 | UPDATED: 21:21 05 July 2010

AFTER our disappointment a few weeks back at going out of the FA Cup at the first hurdle, the game on Saturday at home to Norwich United in the FA Vase was a must win affair.

AFTER our disappointment a few weeks back at going out of the FA Cup at the first hurdle, the game on Saturday at home to Norwich United in the FA Vase was a must win affair.

And after a long, hard 90 minutes against very game opposition we came away with the desired result. Our visitors were much improved from the side we had beaten two weeks earlier in the league, albeit I thought that our 3-0 victory that night was rather flattering.

We started the game well and pressed the play with our visitors playing as expected on the counter attack, but we did not create enough chances to trouble their back four and we came in at half time deadlocked at 0-0.

The second half was a pretty open affair with a number of chances at both ends. We should have taken the lead when some good work from Paul Highfield put an open goal on a plate for Nathan Stone who somehow could only find the keeper.

As the game looked more and more likely to hit extra time we created the chance to win it with Stone redeeming himself with a great run and cross that gave James Cole his first goal for the club from close range.

Matt Taunton had his first start, which was a very encouraging one and duly saw him come away with the man of the match award.

On Wednesday it was straight back to league action with the visit of Wroxham and an opportunity for us to enact revenge following our eventful FA Cup exit at their hands.

It was certainly a game of two halves with our visitors totally dominating the first half and then us totally outplaying them in the second to come away as worthy winners.

Wroxham came with an effective gameplan, which totally stifled our play for the first 30 minutes of the game. However the game then took a big step in our favour when we scored at our first real attempt through a pin point Justin Fox corner that went straight in at the far post.

This clearly shook our visitors and we then went very close to making it 2-0 just before the break when some smart thinking from Chris Henderson saw him intercept a back pass but it just went wide of the upright.

The second half was a totally different affair as we made a couple of half time changes, which freed up Stone to cause problems up top and also tightened our grip and control of the midfield. We went further ahead early on when Stone rounded the keeper and was fouled and Fox converted from the spot.

We then scored a couple of fantastic goals. A great move saw Jamie Stokeld's cross met with a flying Stone volley and this was followed by a great strike from Ian Dawson.

We were rampant after this and hit the post and had further chances, which could have turned this into a proper rout. Our back five, which includes keeper Woodcock, were fantastic on the night and kept a deserved clean sheet with the MoM award going to James Cole.

Tomorrow we visit one of our bogey sides Harwich in a game we need to win. We hope to have Louis Blois back to make us close to full strength.

If you value what this story gives you, please consider supporting the Lowestoft Journal. Click the link in the yellow box below for details.

Become a supporter

This newspaper has been a central part of community life for many years, through good times and bad, serving as your advocate and trusted source of local information. Our industry is facing testing times, which is why I’m asking for your support. Every single contribution will help us continue to produce award-winning local journalism that makes a measurable difference to our community.

Thank you.

Most Read

Most Read

Latest from the Lowestoft Journal