Southwold put first defeat of season behind them with comfortable home win
- Credit: Archant
Southwold moved back to the top of the table as they recorded a bonus point win against Ely with 12 regulars unavailable - and without a single point being scored from the boot.
After last week's disappointment at Stowmarket, this performance was what coach Seb Anthony had asked for, methodical, controlled and simply dominant from start to finish.
With no regular available the less said about the kicking the better but after last week's defeat at Stowmarket it was pleasing to see the hosts run in seven tries.
Wold's first try could not have been simpler, with prop Adam Smith catching the ball at the front of a lineout and forcing his way over after five minutes.
West replied with a penalty before Jonny Mayall score the first of his two tries to make it 10-3.
You may also want to watch:
The next try came on the 25 minute mark when Smith made good ground before popping a pass to Matt Howell who forced his way through five tackles to score a great try to the right of the posts.
On the half hour a series of pick and goes ended with Sam Webb picking up and going over the try line for another five points.
- 1 Large crowds flock to popular herring and ale fayre
- 2 Duo spared jail for breaking birthday party-goer's jaw in two places
- 3 Explained: What is causing the long queues at petrol stations?
- 4 Lowestoft family feature on Channel 5 show with Nick Knowles
- 5 New service manager unveiled at care home in Lowestoft
- 6 Don't 'buckle to pressure': Warning as Nottingham Knockers target homes
- 7 Latest coronavirus cases show another rise in East Suffolk
- 8 Alexa Auto stolen from car during early morning theft in Lowestoft
- 9 Man charged with robbery after threatening staff with toy gun
- 10 Man appears in court charged with toy gun robbery in Lowestoft
Just before the break the ball went beautifully down the Wold back line and Jacob English scorched through from full back at a great angle, gathering the ball from a great pop pass and putting the ball down under the posts for the try of the game to make it 25-3.
The second half saw two further tries from Wold, the first on 65 minutes when Mayall went over from a lineout catch and drive in the right hand corner - just as he had done before the break - after a penalty kick for position in the corner.
Callum Easton, who has been playing well in the seconds, came on for his team debut with about 10 minutes to go and quickly made his mark. West were penalised for a deliberate knock on and Tim O'Connell took the penalty straight away and with the whole team going with him it was Easton who scored a great try.
The win was enough to take Southwold back to the top of the table, with Stowmarket failing to win for the first time this season as they drew 22-22 at Ely.
This Saturday's game away at Thetford will be a really tough one and Wold will need all the travelling support they can muster.
MoM: Jobe Brookes for his ferocious tackling all round the pitch.