Dramatic match at The Common ends all square as Southwold score late try

PUBLISHED: 08:13 05 April 2019

Delight for Southwold as Sam Webb prepares to touch down in the dramatic 26-26 draw with Ipswich last week Picture: LINDA CAYLEY

Delight for Southwold as Sam Webb prepares to touch down in the dramatic 26-26 draw with Ipswich last week Picture: LINDA CAYLEY


Southwold drew 26-26 with visitors Ipswich in their penultimate game of the London 2NE season after a thrilling end to the game.

Ipswich took the lead for the first time five minutes from time with a contender for try of the season but Wold scored another great try in the corner to even the score just before the final whistle, leaving both sets of supporters breathless.

What a game this was, full of running rugby and searing pace from start to finish, with both teams preferring to keep ball in hand.

Ipswich powered over for their first try after 10 minutes but missed the conversion from wide. Man-of-the-match Josh Wallis then gave Wold the lead at 6-5 with two penalties in the space of three minutes. Wold piled on the pressure and two forwards’ tries from Sam Webb, charging over from a lineout, and Jamie Jenner, finishing off a series of pick and goes from the Wold pack, saw Wold take an 18-5 lead, with Wallis slotting one of the conversions.

The Ipswich backs then replied with blistering pace to score a converted try to the left of the posts and a Wallis penalty on the stroke of half-time saw Wold lead 21-12.

After 25 minutes without a score Ipswich close the gap with a converted try and went ahead when a daring inch perfect cross-kick saw an amazing catch from the winger who sprinted up the line for a superb try, with the conversion making it 21-26.

Wold pushed and pushed and with time running out were awarded a scrum just to the right of the posts, just inside the 22 metre line. It was their last chance and good ball saw Luke Wade at inside centre spin an inch perfect long pass out wide and Wallis offloaded to Jacob English who crashed his way over just inside the flag. It was another great try and Wallis’s conversion saw the ball take the paint off the post but on the wrong side, with a draw being fair result after what had been a great game.

Southwold, who will finish an excellent first season at this level either seventh or eighth, round off their campaign at Stowmarket on Saturday.

Meanwhile Southwold’s Development team secured the Eastern Counties 3N title with a match to spare when they crossed the line eight times to win 42-10 at closest challengers Crusaders II. It was a good all round performance, with all the players making contributions.

Southwold Swallows beat Woodbridge Amazons 27-15 on The Common on a perfect day for rugby.

Around 60 attended the pre-match lunch and many more lined the touchline to cheer the girls on in what was not only a tight match but probably also their longest ever at over two hours.

The Amazons turned up with a strong team and from the outset it was clear the game was going to be pretty even.

But the Swallows rose to the challenge and lead 15-10 at the break with the tries coming from Annabel, Marj and Jasmin.

After the break Annabel scored her second try, only for Woodbridge to run in their third try virtually from the restart to make it 20-15.

Late on Annabel ran around the opposition for her hat-trick and with the last kick of the game Emily slotted the two points.

It was a great way to end the season, with the Swallows finishing fourth in the table, only two points behind Stanford-le-Hope.

If you value what this story gives you, please consider supporting the Lowestoft Journal. Click the link in the orange box above for details.

Become a supporter

This newspaper has been a central part of community life for many years. Our industry faces testing times, which is why we're asking for your support. Every contribution will help us continue to produce local journalism that makes a measurable difference to our community.

Latest from the Lowestoft Journal