Romford & Gidea Park 51 Southwold 22: A tale of what might have been for Wold
- Credit: Archant
For most of the game Southwold matched their hosts in most departments except one - ruthless finishing.
Wold huffed and puffed but when they got five metres from the line they just couldn't blow the RGP house down.
In general Wold's pack were dominant but lots of good possession just could not be turned into points.
The game started well with a Ben Felton penalty and soon after Des Brett ripped the ball for a turnover and it quickly went out to the right for Adam Smith and Cemil Duruk to combine before putting Ritchie Thickett over in the corner.
By half-time however RGP had scored four tries and were well on the way to victory at 26-8 as Wold failed to add to their score.
You may also want to watch:
Another RGP try followed 10 minutes into the second half but then Jamie Jenner finally took advantage of a long period of Wold pressure and stormed over the line for the visitors' long awaited second try which Felton converted to make the score look a little more respectable at 33-15.
Two RGP penalties followed and then it was game over when six missed tackles allowed the home winger to run through the centre for a fine individual try which was converted.
- 1 Could direct trains run from Lowestoft to London again?
- 2 Man recovering after suffering serious leg injury in crash
- 3 Delays warning as road closed for emergency repairs
- 4 Flood warning as Suffolk set for 23 hours of heavy rain later this week
- 5 'Anti-social rider' has quadbike seized in the snow
- 6 Paramedics respond after woman suffers medical emergency
- 7 Woman's four stone weight loss success despite global pandemic
- 8 Everything we know so far about Covid vaccinations in Norfolk and Waveney
- 9 Butchers' could be converted into cafe under new plans
- 10 'Be vigilant' plea after rise in vehicle thefts
A frantic last three minutes saw RGP score a strange try when Wold ripped the ball in the loose and it came gently out the back of the ruck on their side. But the only person to spot it was an RGP forward who picked up and ran unchallenged to the try line.
Guy Blades timed his interception well a minute later as he ran between the RGP centres and it was another seven points for Wold. They almost secured a bonus point in the dying seconds when Guy Blades and Jonny Utting combined but they were stopped just short.
MoM for Wold was Jenner who had a fine game at No 8.
Southwold II were at home to Crusaders II in a top-of-the-table clash in the Eastern Counties Greene King 3N and won 38-0.
Southwold are without a game tomorrow as are Lowestoft & Yarmouth.