Stone rocks Rovers with winner

PUBLISHED: 11:15 18 January 2008 | UPDATED: 19:27 05 July 2010

Stanway Rovers 0, Kirkley and Pakefield 1

IT was typical cat and mouse football at a sticky Stanway but in the end it was the ginger tom - alias Nathan Stone - who scored the solitary winner and also picked up the supporters man of the match vote.

Stanway Rovers 0, Kirkley and Pakefield 1

IT was typical cat and mouse football at a sticky Stanway but in the end it was the ginger tom - alias Nathan Stone - who scored the solitary winner and also picked up the supporters man of the match vote.

Both teams went for it with plenty of incidents but in the end it was K&P who purred back down the A12 with three points, writes Stuart Baker.

K&P kicked off down the slope with the wintry sun in the home keeper's eyes at the bottom of the hill.

Kirkley started off like a steam train and Highfield crossed from the right after a smart ball forward from Hunter and Stone got ahead of his marker to head a foot wide from 10 yards out.

Stanway nearly drew first blood but an alert Ryan de Coteau intercepted the ball just in front of Turner when he was about to shoot on 11 minutes.

The Stanway striker then brought out a fingertip save with the ball going for a corner when Pauling put the ball round the post.

Kirkley's best moment arrived in the 24th minute with a wonderful tight little turn by Stone to spin away from full back Curtis.

The Stanway defender was left with little option but to make a clumsy challenge on the very edge of their box for which the referee duly awarded a free kick. In an inviting position Highfield opted to take it quickly only for the covering Ross Crouch to concede a corner.

The save of the match came on 26 minutes when Pauling denied Jermaine Harewood a goal with a flying goal line save that somehow kept the scoreline at 0-0.

The deadlock was broken on 29 minutes. A thrilling run by Chris Henderson down the left saw an inch-perfect pass into the path of Nathan Stone who did the rest and he planted a perfect shot past home keeper Church after rounding defender Ben Newson.

Stone then had another pop at goal soon afterwards but Gainsford blocked his effort on the line.

Good work by Carter and Dawson gave Henderson another opportunity to show his undoubted talents on the left but his cross was far too long this time to cause Stanway any danger.

A spell of frantic midfield action eventually saw neat work by Emmerson, Calendar and Sam Newson put Turner away down the middle but in a frustrating first half for the Stanway striker he was called up for offside on 34 minutes.

Angelo Harrop became the first player to be booked for a foul on the industrious Kirkley midfielder Bodie Carter. Play then switched quickly to the other end and a good ball by Newson found Harewood on the left and his deep cross saw Pauling back pedalling anxiously and was grateful to turn the ball over the bar for a corner in a very interesting finale to a good first half.

Stanway came out and attacked down both flanks but Eliot Hunter and Danny Tacon held the back line well to restrict Harewood and Callender to long-range efforts as they both cut inside. In the first 10 minutes of the second half danger loomed for Kirkley and the lively Turner almost robbed Jefford but De-Coteau was on hand to tidy up for his partner in the central defence. Luke Callender mis-hit a drive when an open goal beckoned him as Stanway looked for the equaliser and were powering down the hill into Kirkley territory.

Henderson switched wings to the right hand side and dazzled past Ben Newson.

On 65 minutes Stanway responded with a spell of heavy pressure in which Turner and Sam Newson were both prominent.

A sparkling move after 74 minutes almost saw Kirkley increase their 1-0 lead. Carter found Stone on the left and his instant pass down the line released Blyth whose powerful right-foot shot finished just wide.

A mazy run by Henderson with eight minutes to go ended with a sweet left foot shot that hit the base of the Stanway post with keeper Church beaten all ends up. With little time left on the stopwatch Ian Dawson let fly with a quick fire shot, which unfortunately ended up in the Stanway car park.

Kirkley and Pakefield: N Pauling, E Hunter, D Tacon, J Jefford, R de Coteau, I Dawson, P Highfield, B Carter, N Stone, J Blyth, C Henderson. Subs: L Hunter, D Stokeld, S Manning.

If you value what this story gives you, please consider supporting the Lowestoft Journal. Click the link in the orange box above for details.

Become a supporter

This newspaper has been a central part of community life for many years. Our industry faces testing times, which is why we're asking for your support. Every contribution will help us continue to produce local journalism that makes a measurable difference to our community.

Latest from the Lowestoft Journal