Tough challenge for Kensington Gardens teams as they take on high-flyers
- Credit: James Bass
Kensington Gardens Bowls Club teams in the Lowestoft and District League and the Sunshine League both met high-flying opponents.
In the Lowestoft League the Gardens had two games, playing teams first and second in their league. Against Wenhaston, the league leaders, the Gardens lost 60-88 (1-6) after being only six shots down at 15 ends.
The one winning block for Kensington was D Crisp, H Bond and M Roberts who won 23-19.
The following night against Aldeby they lost 60-85 (1-6) and were always chasing the game after a poor start.
The one point gained came from a 17-12 win from F Brown, R Bond and E Le Grice.
You may also want to watch:
In the Sunshine League Sole Bay were the visitors to the Gardens on a damp afternoon and won a keenly fought game 44-62 (0-6) bringing to an end to the Gardens' good winning run.
In the Benacre League Kensington visited Lowestoft Railway and had a valuable 78-64 (6-1) victory. Winning blocks were C Smith, T Court and M Roberts 24-16, F Helsdon, C Marshall and E Le Grice 22-14 and H Bond, R Bond and M Evans 18-17.
- 1 Plea for help to trace missing heavily pregnant woman
- 2 'The Gull Wing is go' - Joy as third crossing secures Government approval
- 3 High street store for auction as 'residential development'
- 4 Missing pregnant woman found
- 5 Hunt for witnesses after 10 vandals target bike shelter
- 6 'Magna Carta is no defence' - Man caught fishing illegally on Broads
- 7 ‘A true gentleman’ - Tributes paid to popular fish merchant, pub landlord and Freemason
- 8 Seven arrested and three charged with supplying cocaine after large police presence in village
- 9 Staggering response to ‘Relight my fire’ campaign
- 10 Welcome to our new website
The club's thoughts are with the family of Joe Hawkins, a fellow bowler, who passed away recently. Meanwhile Oulton Broad played at Halesworth in the Benacre league and were losing 27-42.
R Newman, L Moore, B Lyell were 9-8 up and went on to win 21-16. R and R Turner, M Last won 20-15 but Halesworth held out to beat Broad 73-65 (5-2).
Playing Hopton in the Lothingland League, Broad led 37-30 at 10 ends. P Calvert, B Lyell, M Last built up a 15-6 advanatge and went on to win 29-11.
B Smith, J Manning, R George came from 9-18 down to win 21-19, with their efforts helping Broad win the match 80-64.
In the Bowls England League Broad played Thurlton and were behind 32-44 at 10 ends.
R Turner, D Daniels and R Newman won 23-16 and A Buck, B Chapman and R Goddard drew 18-18 so Broad lost overall 61-76 (1?-5?).
At Wellesley in the Lothingland League Broad were one shot ahead at 10 ends. A Buck, G Smith and R Goddard made an excellent start to their match to lead 12-1 and went on to win it 26-8.
With one end to go Broad still had a one shot lead but they dropped two shots to lose the game 73-74 (2-5) with M Last, B Lyell and B Bryant winning 21-15.