Search

Town players all have their price

PUBLISHED: 11:56 29 August 2009 | UPDATED: 11:46 06 July 2010

ROY Keane says that every one of his current squad has their price.

Speculation as to who may be departing Portman Road has been rife since the Ipswich Town boss angrily stated that “one or two of players will not play for me again” following last Saturday's 2-0 defeat at West Brom.

ROY Keane says that every one of his current squad has their price.

Speculation as to who may be departing Portman Road has been rife since the Ipswich Town boss angrily stated that “one or two of players will not play for me again” following last Saturday's 2-0 defeat at West Brom.

And the Irishman has confirmed that none of his players are indispensable as Tuesday's 5pm transfer deadline looms.

“I'm not going to say that any of my players are not for sale,” said Keane, whose out-of-sorts side host a Preston outfit who have made an unbeaten start to the new campaign today.

“I've said to managers it's up to them to make us an offer.”

Keane - who is still hopeful of tying up a double deal for Sunderland pair Grant Leadbitter and Carlos Edwards - admitted that he has already rejected a bid for one of his players, but refused to be drawn on the identity of that player.

He said: “I had an offer for one of our players and we turned it down. The offer was no where near what we believe the player is worth.”

He would, however, confirm that identity of the player in question was not Owen Garvan following speculation that Burnley had made a £1m bid for the 21-year-old midfielder.

When asked if Garvan was going to the Premier League club, Keane said: “No, not that I'm aware, but sometimes managers are the last to know. I've had no phone call from Burnley, their manager has not been in contact with me.”

The offer in question may have been for striker Jon Stead as, like Garvan, he was dropped from the squad altogether for Tuesday night's Carling Cup defeat at Peterborough.

Doncaster Rovers boss Sean O'Driscoll admitted earlier in the week that he rated the 26-year-old, while reports in London have suggested that Crystal Palace, whose transfer embargo was lifted at the start of the week, could also make a move.


If you value what this story gives you, please consider supporting the Lowestoft Journal. Click the link in the orange box above for details.

Become a supporter

This newspaper has been a central part of community life for many years. Our industry faces testing times, which is why we're asking for your support. Every contribution will help us continue to produce local journalism that makes a measurable difference to our community.

Latest from the Lowestoft Journal