Will Blyth celebrates England hockey call-up
A LOWESTOFT teenager was celebrating this week after making it through a tough selection process against the very best young hockey players in the country to claim an England Under-16s call-up.
Woodbridge School pupil Will Blyth, who was this week described as a 'pivotal' member of the school's hockey success, is hoping to shine on the national stage.
Blyth, 15, has already represented both his school and his county and progressed through to the English Hockey Board Futures Cup competition where he impressed national selectors.
Richard Thorley, head of hockey at Woodbridge School, said: 'Will has shown great commitment and talent to reach final selection for the Under-16 assessment squad from which he will be fast-tracked to the Under-18 trial next year.
'He has been pivotal to the success of the school hockey squads and we hope he can build on this and take it to the very highest level in representing his country.'
You may also want to watch:
Held at the National Sports Centre in Lilleshall, the Futures Cup contained four regional squads and was run like an Olympic training camp with hockey sessions linked with nutrition and physiotherapy.
Blyth has been chosen in the 26-man squad and will now attend a programme of training involving current Great Britain players from which a final team will be picked for the Home Nations and Euro Nations competitions later this year.
- 1 Covid infection rate in Ipswich continues to fall below England average
- 2 Acting headteacher thrilled as school delivers community help
- 3 Son's concern as Covid hospital patient, 85, moved seven times in two weeks
- 4 WATCH: Therese Coffey 'walks out' of Piers Morgan interview on GMB
- 5 Projects to restore axed rail routes get £794m boost
- 6 Tributes to much-loved Laura, 28, after Covid death
- 7 New outdoor theatre hopes to bring post lockdown performances to the woods
- 8 Concerns over lack of coronavirus vaccine centres in north Suffolk
- 9 Pressure grows for fixed date for schools to re-open
- 10 A life in agony: 27-year-old's daily torture battling constant pain