Youth and girls football match reports

Norfolk and Suffolk Youth League Caister U14B 2, Kirkley & Pakefield U14C 4

THIS was always going to be a tough game with both teams nearly equal in the league, and it showed in the game. K&P started a bit stronger this week with some great attacking football which unsteadied Caister, and paid off with an early goal to put them 1-0 up.

Caister hit back but K&P held firm in defence and at this stage their midfield was controlling the game. But they missed a couple of chances to go further ahead before a lovely move from the midfielders put K&P 2-0 up by half time. Caister started the second half by putting the pressure straight onto K&P and they soon made it 2-1.

Kirkley then started to get the game together and with some lovely play down the right they scored again to go 3-1 ahead.

You may also want to watch:

The game swung from end to end with both teams adding a goal apiece, with K&P's goals from Jesse 2, Harry and JJ. MoM: Jesse.

Most Read

Gunton Youth U15 2, Martham U15 1

GUNTON progressed to the semi-finals of the shield despite going a goal down to Martham inside a minute.

It took a while for Gunton to regain their composure, but after a quarter of an hour Daniel H's cross caused confusion in the Martham penalty area and Jake scored the equaliser.

Five minutes later, Richard gave Gunton the lead after good work from Reece.

Thanks to some fine goalkeeping from Callum, Gunton reached the interval with a narrow advantage over their opposition from a higher league.

In the second half, Gunton needed to soak up some pressure from Martham, but excellent tackling from Bradley, Fraser and Tyler in particular ensured that Gunton held on to win 2-1.

Waveney Youth U13A 0, St. Benets' Wasps 1 (AET)

WAVENEY U13A and St Benets Wasps fought out a tense and keenly contested League Cup semi-final at Denes High School on Sunday.

A tremendous match eventually went the way of St Benets with the only goal just three minutes from the end of extra-time.

St Benets had the better of the first-half and Meades in the Waveney goal made some courageous saves and Bush headed an effort off the line to keep the scores level.

Waveney looked dangerous at set-pieces but found the St Benets defence difficult to breakdown.

The second-half was much more open and although Waveney had to continue to be on their guard to quell the quick breaks of the St Benets forwards, centre-backs Butler and Hudson were strong and at the other end, four good chances came Waveney's way.

Gallant lobbed just over and then French's vicious cross-shot somehow missed the far post.

Woods then blasted over when put clear and Mahoney shot wide, but Waveney could not break through.

St Benets struck the crossbar with one effort but the match headed into extra-time.

Both sides dug in but it was St Benets who claimed the winner when Waveney failed to decisively clear a corner and were punished by a quick turn and shot across Meades who despite his heroics could not save this one.

Waveney were desperately disappointed at the end but no-one could fault their effort and application.

The club's good wishes go to St Benets in the final and also thanks to referee P. Bultitude who stepped in at the last minute.

Blundeston Magpies U13 18, Newton Flotman U13 0

THE most pleasing aspect of this game against a spirited Newton Flotman is that most of the Magpies players retained their discipline and respect for the opposition.

The stand out performances were from those that resisted the temptation to showboat and instead did the simple things consistently and well. Dan, Chopper and Sam impressed in the professional way in which they performed in the game.

Magpies were also delighted to welcome back Gibbsy who was excellent bringing the ball out from left back and scoring three quality goals. Man of the Match however goes to Joe who performed as a predatory striker who was determined to score even if it meant knocking his team-mates out of the way. MoM: Joe. Goals: Patch 1, Chopper 1, Stints 1, Cam 1, Dom 1, George 2, Gibbsy 3, Ally 4, Joe 4.

Blundeston Magpies U12 4, Bohemians U12 0

THE Magpies started the game with their fastest goal of the season, straight from the kick off they got into the Bohemians box and a trip led to a penalty, which James fired low past the keeper.

Declan, Sam and Jamie all had chances to increase the lead before James scored his second from close in to finally reward the Magpies pressure. Bexley saved a Bohemians free kick from just outside the box before Sam broke clear and scored the third.

Sam and James both had shots saved before Matthew scored the final goal stabbing the ball through the keeper's legs from close range following a corner. Man of the Match Syd playing in central defence was in the thick of the action on several occasions to prevent Bohemians pulling a goal back during the first half. The second half started slowly with more Bohemians possession than before, Bexley making two good saves. The Magpies got back into their stride but were unable to add to their goal tally.

Halesworth Town U14 1, Waveney Youth U14B 4

HALESWORTH certainly upped their game for the return encounter, tackled hard, threw bodies at the ball and looked sharper up front with a speedy tough outlet.

But Waveney broke the deadlock in the first half after being rewarded with a penalty. James calmly stepped up and put the ball beyond the keeper's reach.

In the second half after a little discussion at the break Waveney sped up their game and the football started to look nice, with passing, movement and plenty of pressure in and around the Halesworth penalty area.

Corey, Alexander and Kallum scored in this period and Halesworth scored a rocket with probably their only attempt on goal.

But what a fantastic goal it was, leaving Ryan rooted to the spot as the ball sailed high into the net. Hi-Tech MoM: Jordan Day.

Waveney Youth U9B 2, Sole Bay 0

WAVENEY were looking to continue their excellent form, but due to illness found themselves with only six players.

The boys knew they had to work very hard for each other and they did this from start to finish.

Waveney took the lead when man of the match Joseph Clarke picked up the ball in his own area and ran the fall length of the pitch before firing his shot hard and low into the bottom corner.

After the break Waveney became tired and this allowed Sole Bay back into the game and they should have had a penalty.

This spurred Waveney back into action and they were awarded a corner which Sonny Ling delivered well and with Corey Robinson stood in front of the goalkeeper this caused panic in the Sole Bay area and one of their players put the ball into his own net. Waveney worked hard after this and deserved the three points. MoM: Joseph Clarke.

Kirkley & Pakefield U13C 1, Hemsby Hornets U13B 4

K&P started this cup tie the brighter and took the lead when Aaron thumped in a free kick from 25 yards to add to his collection for the seaon.

Hemsby pulled level with a soft goal as the home side were caught short at the back.

The second half continued in the same vein as both sides created chances. The visitors gradually took control and scored twice as K&P failed to deal with balls in the box.

The home side strived to get back into it and Aaron hit the post with another stunning free kick. The result though was put beyond doubt via the penalty spot. Rory saved the penalty but the rebound was tucked away to see the visitors though to the next round. K&P MoM: Will.

Girls Football Waveney Girls FC U16 3, Copleston SC 1

COPLESTON surprised Waveney with a 100pc performance in this County Cup semi final and dictated the match for most of the first half.

It was no surprise that the visitors took a deserved lead after 15 minutes with a shot from distance which gave the very good keeper S Reynolds no chance.

B Thomas, A Wilson, M Burrell, R Cotterill and M Wilson had a lot of work in defence for the remainder of the first half.

In the second half Waveney got into the game after finding their battling spirit. S Knights, S Eastwood, G Langer and G Wilson managed to take charge of the midfield. L Teicher, in her 100th match for Waveney, managed to convert a corner directly which swung the game after 49 minutes in Waveney's favour. Two well taken goals from N Thomas in the 53rd and 57th minutes put Waveney through to the final.

K&P U10 Girls 0, Waveney Foxes U10 11

WAVENEY had an emphatic away win with a good performance.

E Barnes, using her dribbling skills to perfection, beat four of the opposition, before placing the ball calmly past the keeper on two minutes.

Two more goals in quick succession gave her a hat-trick within seven minutes.

The Foxes team work was excellent as always, with some great passing out of defence from C Forster and L McLellan.

G Colby unfortunately was substituted early on, as she sustained an ankle injury and was unable to carry on.

T Robson and L Wright were unflappable in midfield, with T Robson netting two goals in the first half, and she continued to show what a great midfielder she is with some very calm and accurate passing.

G Thrower finished off the first half with a well deserved goal on 20 minutes, taking the Foxes into half time with a 6-0 advantage.

T Robson completed her hat-trick with five minutes of the second half played, with G Thrower grabbing another goal only two minutes later.

E Barnes finished off the scoring with a well deserved second half hat-trick, taking her goals for the game to six. J Johnson, who was captain, had a very quiet and cold game in goal, and only touched the ball a maximum of three times during the whole game.

Full credit to the Kirkley & Pakefield girls, for not getting despondent despite the scoreline, and battling well until the final whistle.

Waveney Foxes PoM: T Robson.

Waveney U12 Girls 13, Colt Jags U12 Girls 0

WAVENEY U12 Girls entertained Colt Jags U12 Girls who only joined the league this year.

Waveney started cautiously, setting themselves out to push Colt into their own half. This paid dividends early on when B Turner and E Walker scored one goal each from two M Lyon through balls.

S Callaghan then crossed beautifully for L Cathersides to score. S Callaghan continued the goal rush with a run and shot and further goals came from B Turner and L Robbens to make the half time score 6-0.

Despite the experience divide between the teams, Colt kept battling and a great performance from their goalkeeper kept the score down.

In the second half, Colt created a few chances which Waveney's goalkeeper J Green cleared with ease.

Three further goals came from B Turner whose pace and passing was excellent. E Walker scored her second goal and A Everson and G Tiffin demonstrated their strength in the tackle.

Finally, M Lyon also scored a hat-trick to wrap up a well deserved win for Waveney.

Eon and ICENI Marine PoM: M Lyon.

Become a Supporter

This newspaper has been a central part of community life for many years. Our industry faces testing times, which is why we're asking for your support. Every contribution will help us continue to produce local journalism that makes a measurable difference to our community.

Become a Supporter
Comments powered by Disqus