International Workers Day to be celebrated at The Seagull Theatre in Pakefield
- Credit: Nick Butcher
International Workers Day is to be celebrated at The Seagull Theatre this weekend as part of the Waveney Mayday Festival.
On Sunday (April 30) from 2pm until 7pm a free Mayday Festival is being held to celebrate International Workers Day.
Labour's Euro MEP for East of England, Alex Mayer, will officially open the event at 2.30pm.
This will be followed by illustrated talks of wartime incidents in Lowestoft, presented by Chris Brooks and Bob Collis of Suffolk Pensioners Association, as well as Elizabeth Hodgkin discussing the current situation in Gaza, at 4.30pm, accompanied by a film presentation.
From 5.30pm there will be a festival revue provided by local poets, songwriters and others.
While later in the day, at 7pm, local musicians, The John Ward Band, will team up with performance poet Luke Wright for a hard-hitting show which includes Luke's recent work The Toll which will hit the stage at 8.30pm.
Tickets for this concert are £5.
- 1 Mystery surrounds container ships at anchor off Suffolk coast
- 2 Plans to redevelop major town centre building to be discussed
- 3 Bid to demolish countryside home to build church
- 4 TV and prescription medicine stolen from Lowestoft home
- 5 Family's plea for information on engineer's asbestos exposure
- 6 All of the Suffolk streets that won the People's Postcode Lottery in June
- 7 Jailed in Suffolk: The criminals put behind bars this week
- 8 Car smashes through barrier after two-car crash in Lowestoft
- 9 Dad's anger after bike worth £3,000 stolen from Lowestoft park
- 10 Man bitten on the nose as he tried to make citizen's arrest
All collections on the day will go towards The Seagull Theatre's Raise the Roof campaign.
RELATED STORY: Entertainment aplenty at The Seagull Theatre